Spring is in the air and we can all feel it! It makes us long for summer even more and we are so ready to leave winter behind us. Here are 6 signs of the start of spring.
- The sun makes you wanna go outside, although it’s still freezing. It looks like great weather to take a walk or go get ice cream with friends.
- Flowers are starting to grow.
- You can smell it in the air. It’s that special scent you smell outside, which let’s you know that spring and summer are so close that you can smell it. 😉
- You get to wear sunglasses, while still wearing scarfs and gloves.
- You see people wearing short sleeves, jackets and sandals. It’s not really time yet to ditch your winter warderobe, but those daredevils who already did make it feel like summer isn’t far away anymore.
- The days are slowly starting to get longer and less dark. Those long, hot summer nights are coming!
Can’t wait for summer!
Last October I wrote my last “current obsessions”. And of course in those months I have started loving new things. So I thought it was time to write an update!
I already liked country music before I went to Nashville. But after spending a few days there, and hearing it in bars and stores and on the streets, I grew to love that genre. Lately the Country Coffeehouse-playlist from Spotify has been on repeat. It is really relaxing and a perfect playlist for early mornings.
Yoga & Running
This year I’m going to try to make new goals every month. For February those goals were to run every Saturday and practice yoga three times a week. Running helps me to clear my head and to enjoy spending time outside, even when it’s cold. I practice yoga with the help of the 30-day Yoga Challenge from the DoYouYoga Youtube channel. For me the best time to do it is in the morning, that way you’ll feel refreshed and just like with running, it clears your head.
I have been very busy with work the past few weeks but I’m trying to do something that makes me happy every single day. Reading is one of those things. In January I read Emma by Jane Austen. It was tough, but watching Clueless (which is inspired by the book) helped me a lot with understanding the story. Another thing is watching Friends. A couple of times I tried to watch everything from the beginning but somehow I always failed after a few episodes. I just finished season one and I’m exited to start watching season two this weekend.
Such a cliché, I know. But I have to leave for work at 7.30 am, then it’s very nice to have a warm drink just after you woke up. Speaking of early mornings, I love them. Every day it’s a little bit less dark outside and a little less cold. Can’t wait for Spring to arrive!
Have a good weekend ♥
Maybe you are annoyed with all those people telling you to be positive. Maybe you just wanna throw pity parties all the time. Maybe you feel like you are not allowed to be sad.
But MAYBE they do have a point. Focussing on the negative isn’t gonna make things any better. Yes, ofcourse bad things happen and ofcourse you’re allowed to feel sad every once in a while, but don’t linger in it for too long. Life sucks, but focussing on the positive things is a great way to trick yourself into thinking it doesn’t.
Here are some tips to master the art of being positive. Actually, I’m not sure if I can help you master them since I suck at it so bad myself.. Soooo, good luck!
- Keep a positivity diary: Try to end your day with writing a few things down that were fun that day, give yourself some compliments or you can do both. You can write anything as long as it’s the positive side of that day. This helps focus on the positive things and makes you see the day in a brighter way. Especially ending your days with this works really well! It might feel stupid at first, but you’ll get used to it.
- Stop the lingering: If you do have a pity party plan an end to it. Try to go do something fun after, to completely get your mind off of things. Whatever works for you.
- Try to hang out with positive people: I know this sounds shitty, I really do.. But it’s true. That’s why people are so allergic to negative people. We all struggle to see the positive things in life and hanging out with people who point out the positive things instead of the negative makes it a little less hard. It’s a team effort everyone! This does NOT mean you should ditch the negative people. You can try to help them see the positive side of things. Try to divide your time between the negative and positive people in a way that you feel you can handle.
- Do things you love/that give you peace: This is a pretty cliché one, but I felt like I had to mention it. It’s really important to create a moment of peace and serenity every day. Try to find at least half an hour a day to do something that’s really just for yourself. It could be literally anything. Here are a few examples if you can’t think of anything: -breathing exercises (could be yoga, but just focussing on breathing in general works great) -watching your favorite tv show -eating your favorite food -create something creative -reading a book -going for a walk -cleaning your room -working out -listening to some music -lighting a scented candle. Well you get the idea. Whatever works for you! However, don’t do stuff that makes you feel good, but gets you in trouble! And don’t do something and then try to instagram it for half an hour. Such a waste of your precious time. Do what you love and do it for you.
- Find your soulmate: Just kidding! Although it does work really well, you can’t rush those things. But love is so much more than just having a relationship. Maybe you love your mom or your cat or your friends. Let your love for them be your motivation to find joy in life. They want to see you happy. Although you shouldn’t let it be a pressure to be happy all the time, it’s okay to have a shitty day. They will love you anyway. And I don’t think your cat will care if you keep feeding him anway.
- Try not to avoid your problems: Sure you can spend all your money and look at it in the most but-it-made-me-happy positive kind of way. But being positive doesn’t mean righting your wrongs and doing it over and over again. You shouldn’t regret doing it, but the right way to think is “Well I can’t change the fact that I did that stupid thing now, but I can try not to do it again.”. It will change your life for the better. Accept you made a mistake, move on and do better next time.
I hope I said something useful and that you will find the happiness you deserve. And remember, the shittiest people are the unhappiest, so try to be forgiving! See you next time!
As you may know, in the last months of 2015 I made a roadtrip through the United States.
I had such a great time there. And I wanted to share some of the moments in which I was the happiest. Hope you enjoy!
- sunsets, especially the ones in California
- trying new coffee places
- hearing Christmas music everywhere
- writing in my travel diary
- mornings at the hostel; making plans with people you just met 10 minutes ago
- seeing the things (e.g. Times Square) you saw in movies
- beautiful views from the Greyhound bus
- walking around for the first time in a new city
- trying new food (I have become obsessed with chili cheese fries)
- meeting inspirational people who will change your perspective on life
2016 is still fresh, new and full of opportunities. That’s why I wanted to share some of the reminders which make me feel like I’m improving myself. I find it hard to keep my resolutions, so I was wondering if this would work better for me.
- Stop spending time with shitty people.
There are a lot of people out there who will make you feel unwanted, dumb, annoying, etc. It’s just not worth it to spend time with people who don’t make you feel good about yourself. Figuring that out now, can save you a lot of regret about wasted time with those people, and that’s time you will never get back. Your time is precious, remember that.
- Set goals for each month.
I recently bought an adorable notebook from Hema and I thought it would be perfect for getting organised. In that notebook I’ll be putting my monthly goals (such as; run X miles, read X books, etc.). But also for example birthdays that are coming up, songs I have to listen to and inspirational quotes. It’s like a planner and I’m really hoping this works out.
- A good night’s sleep can fix almost anything.
It doesn’t matter if you’re getting over a breakup or just feeling under the weather. After those 8 hours of sleep you might be still heartbroken, but you’ll feel rested and it will be a lot easier to move on when you take good care of yourself.
And last but not least a few self-explanatory reminders:
– Listen to amazing music
– Sleeping with make-up on will give you breakouts
– Red lipstick will (most likely) make you feel instantly better
– Smile as often as you can
– Sit up straight
Happy new year everybody, make 2016 a good one!
December is coming up and I’m super excited about it! And i’ve made a list of reasons why.
Number 1: Obviously, because it’s my B-day this month! It’s on Christmas day, so my birthday is always special. I love it.
Number 2: It might snow. Probably not here though. But it might. 🙂
Number 3: There will be christmas trees. And christmas lights. And just all the christmas decorations you can think of.
Number 4: So. Much. Food. Candy canes, christmas dinners and FOOOOOD.
Number 5: New Years Eve. Counting down the seconds with your loved ones and popping some champagne.
Number 6: CHRISTMAS SONGS. They create that super cozy, holiday feeling and they just make me so happy.
Number 7: All the stores look super pretty, because of the holiday season.
Number 8: While America has Santaclaus, we have Sinterklaas. And it’s a super cozy holiday where we exchange gifts and eat a lot. Kinda like christmas. So we have TWICE as much holidays. I mean, come on, that’s awesome.
Number 9: Christmas movies are finally okay to watch again. Christmas-movie-binge-watch-marathon time!
Number 10: Candles get to be burned and I love how cozy it makes everything look. I especially love scented ones.
I just love December, because it’s so cozy and happy and festive! But it always goes by so fast, so we better make the most of it and enjoy every second. Before you know it it’s the beginning of a new year and you have to start making good on those new years resolutions…
Today I have a couple of new favorites for you.
Red velvet cake & red cups season at Starbucks
I wanted to try this for a long time and when red cups season hit Starbucks they also sold red velvet cake! It’s chocolate cake with a red colour, so ofcourse it was delicious. I’m so in love with the whole vibe they got at starbucks these days with the christmas songs playing and the new stuff they sell (for example the red velvet cake) and the red cups. Although I’m not loving the red cups Starbucks created this year. The ones from last year were way cuter.
I’ve always loved these, but never knew where to get them. One day I was picknicking in Vondelpark with some friends and one of them had these with her. Turns out they just sell them at our supermarket. I never actually went looking for them, but recently ran into them at Hema. So now I have them laying in my room waiting for a perfect opportunity to use them (like new years eve or my bday or something).
Coco vanilla body butter
It smells so good. I bought this at a local store and it was super cheap, so the quality won’t be that good, but I just bought it for the scent.
Perfume: Daisy Dream & Dolce
My recent perfume obsessions are Daisy Dream from Marc Jacobs and (still) Dolce from Dolce and Gabbana. I know I’m getting the giftbox from Daisy Dream for my birthday, so I’m super excited about that. The giftbox from Dolce was cuter, but it had the normal Dolce perfume in it and I want the floral drops (I finally decided).
I was out shopping with a friend and we wanted to get something to drink, so we went to the supermarket. I was going in the direction of starbucks ice coffee, but that friend picked a fruit smoothie/juice. I always like to try new stuff, so I picked one too and I like it. It’s delicious and much more healthy than starbucks. We all need vitamines.
I saw this movie a few weeks ago and it’s so cute, funny and charming. It’s about a 70 year old man, Ben, feeling like retirement has started too soon for him and like he still has something to offer the world. So he starts a job as senior intern at a fashion webshop. The contrast between him and the other employees is hilarious. The old man is so adorable and he leaves a little sparkle everywhere he goes. This movie is definitely a must watch!