As you may know, in the last months of 2015 I made a roadtrip through the United States.
I had such a great time there. And I wanted to share some of the moments in which I was the happiest. Hope you enjoy!
- sunsets, especially the ones in California
- trying new coffee places
- hearing Christmas music everywhere
- writing in my travel diary
- mornings at the hostel; making plans with people you just met 10 minutes ago
- seeing the things (e.g. Times Square) you saw in movies
- beautiful views from the Greyhound bus
- walking around for the first time in a new city
- trying new food (I have become obsessed with chili cheese fries)
- meeting inspirational people who will change your perspective on life
I got some january favorites for you to kick start your year with some good books, movies and perfumes.
Let It Snow
This book is perfect for this season and it’s almost impossible for the writers to disappoint you. It’s the perfect book to snuggle up in bed with your hot chocolate/tea/coffee while it’s snowing (or when lack of snow, raining) outside. And I am in love with the cover.
Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs
I got this perfume for my birthday in a giftbox, which also contained a body lotion and a shower gel. I like the way the bottle looks and the giftbox is a really cute box you can use to store stuff in.
Victoria’s Secret body mist The one I got is Pure Seduction, but Strawberries & Champagne is also on my wishlist. Pure Seduction is really sweet, but since it’s a body mist it’s not too strong.
Eternity by Calvin Klein
This is kind of an all time favorite perfume, but I recently bought a new one. It’s a really light, fresh scent, so it’s perfect for every occasion.
Grace Of Monaco
A movie about Grace Kelly, played by Nicole Kidman. I haven’t actually finished watching this, so I can’t really judge this movie yet, but so far I like it. It will probably end up with my other classics (Coco Avant Chanel, The Great Gatsby, Breakfast At Tiffany’s).
I recently bought this jewellerybox at Xenos and it fits everything perfectly.
And ofcourse my yoga pants, makes going to the gym a lot less of a chore. 😉
Also this article I found last week on www.whowhatwear.co.uk about closet cleaning. (They have quite a lot of useful stuff about closet cleaning.) This article is about 5 closet cleaning tips you never heard before and (to my suprise) I had actually never heard them before and they are really useful!
2016 is still fresh, new and full of opportunities. That’s why I wanted to share some of the reminders which make me feel like I’m improving myself. I find it hard to keep my resolutions, so I was wondering if this would work better for me.
- Stop spending time with shitty people.
There are a lot of people out there who will make you feel unwanted, dumb, annoying, etc. It’s just not worth it to spend time with people who don’t make you feel good about yourself. Figuring that out now, can save you a lot of regret about wasted time with those people, and that’s time you will never get back. Your time is precious, remember that.
- Set goals for each month.
I recently bought an adorable notebook from Hema and I thought it would be perfect for getting organised. In that notebook I’ll be putting my monthly goals (such as; run X miles, read X books, etc.). But also for example birthdays that are coming up, songs I have to listen to and inspirational quotes. It’s like a planner and I’m really hoping this works out.
- A good night’s sleep can fix almost anything.
It doesn’t matter if you’re getting over a breakup or just feeling under the weather. After those 8 hours of sleep you might be still heartbroken, but you’ll feel rested and it will be a lot easier to move on when you take good care of yourself.
And last but not least a few self-explanatory reminders:
– Listen to amazing music
– Sleeping with make-up on will give you breakouts
– Red lipstick will (most likely) make you feel instantly better
– Smile as often as you can
– Sit up straight
Happy new year everybody, make 2016 a good one!
I just got back from my United States roadtrip of seven weeks. In that time, I learned a lot. Not only about myself but also about other people and just some travel hacks that could make your trip even more enjoyable!
- Make sure you always bring a map with you. It doesn’t matter if you use a paper one or just Google Maps (which saved me a lot of times). In case you get lost, you can find your way back or at least get close to a more well-known area. Don’t get me wrong, being spontaneous and maybe even a little careless is a huge part of traveling. But there is a difference between getting lost in Brooklyn and getting lost in some park in Arizona when it’s about to get dark.
- When you are staying in hostels like I did, it’s very important to be open-minded and flexible. Sure, if it makes you happy you can do the ten things Tripadvisor suggests you to do in that city. Or you can socialize with people during breakfast and just ask what they are up to. Maybe you can go with them. Maybe they know a good place to get coffee. Maybe they have other recommendations. But if you don’t put yourself out there and stick to your plan, you will miss out on a lot of amazing people, places and memories.
- Bring scissors and band-aids. Believe me, you are going to need them.
- Coming back to my first lesson, I have found studying a map before you leave your hostel to be very helpful. In my mind I made up this route, because I didn’t want to be the tourist who looks down at her phone all the time. Especially in huge cities like New York it is important that you know your way around a little bit. I have had New Yorkers asking me for directions and even the cab driver, who was born and raised there, had to look up the address.
- Always be on time. It doesn’t matter if you’re about to meet your friends or maybe you have a plane to catch. Keep in mind that the bus could be late, there could be traffic, and maybe your friends have to go home at a certain time. A ‘rule’ I like to follow is to leave ten minutes before you think you have to go. That way, missing your plane for example will be unlikely.
I hope you learned something today!
December is coming up and I’m super excited about it! And i’ve made a list of reasons why.
Number 1: Obviously, because it’s my B-day this month! It’s on Christmas day, so my birthday is always special. I love it.
Number 2: It might snow. Probably not here though. But it might. 🙂
Number 3: There will be christmas trees. And christmas lights. And just all the christmas decorations you can think of.
Number 4: So. Much. Food. Candy canes, christmas dinners and FOOOOOD.
Number 5: New Years Eve. Counting down the seconds with your loved ones and popping some champagne.
Number 6: CHRISTMAS SONGS. They create that super cozy, holiday feeling and they just make me so happy.
Number 7: All the stores look super pretty, because of the holiday season.
Number 8: While America has Santaclaus, we have Sinterklaas. And it’s a super cozy holiday where we exchange gifts and eat a lot. Kinda like christmas. So we have TWICE as much holidays. I mean, come on, that’s awesome.
Number 9: Christmas movies are finally okay to watch again. Christmas-movie-binge-watch-marathon time!
Number 10: Candles get to be burned and I love how cozy it makes everything look. I especially love scented ones.
I just love December, because it’s so cozy and happy and festive! But it always goes by so fast, so we better make the most of it and enjoy every second. Before you know it it’s the beginning of a new year and you have to start making good on those new years resolutions…
Today I have a couple of new favorites for you.
Red velvet cake & red cups season at Starbucks
I wanted to try this for a long time and when red cups season hit Starbucks they also sold red velvet cake! It’s chocolate cake with a red colour, so ofcourse it was delicious. I’m so in love with the whole vibe they got at starbucks these days with the christmas songs playing and the new stuff they sell (for example the red velvet cake) and the red cups. Although I’m not loving the red cups Starbucks created this year. The ones from last year were way cuter.
I’ve always loved these, but never knew where to get them. One day I was picknicking in Vondelpark with some friends and one of them had these with her. Turns out they just sell them at our supermarket. I never actually went looking for them, but recently ran into them at Hema. So now I have them laying in my room waiting for a perfect opportunity to use them (like new years eve or my bday or something).
Coco vanilla body butter
It smells so good. I bought this at a local store and it was super cheap, so the quality won’t be that good, but I just bought it for the scent.
Perfume: Daisy Dream & Dolce
My recent perfume obsessions are Daisy Dream from Marc Jacobs and (still) Dolce from Dolce and Gabbana. I know I’m getting the giftbox from Daisy Dream for my birthday, so I’m super excited about that. The giftbox from Dolce was cuter, but it had the normal Dolce perfume in it and I want the floral drops (I finally decided).
I was out shopping with a friend and we wanted to get something to drink, so we went to the supermarket. I was going in the direction of starbucks ice coffee, but that friend picked a fruit smoothie/juice. I always like to try new stuff, so I picked one too and I like it. It’s delicious and much more healthy than starbucks. We all need vitamines.
I saw this movie a few weeks ago and it’s so cute, funny and charming. It’s about a 70 year old man, Ben, feeling like retirement has started too soon for him and like he still has something to offer the world. So he starts a job as senior intern at a fashion webshop. The contrast between him and the other employees is hilarious. The old man is so adorable and he leaves a little sparkle everywhere he goes. This movie is definitely a must watch!
So after realizing I hadn’t eaten anything all day, I decided to go back to the hostel and find some food. I took the right Subway back (yay!) and bought some groceries like a real adult.
At 3pm I had finally eaten and I was ready to explore New York again. Visiting the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) was on my wishlist. Luckily I had found out that admission was free that evening, so I went there with one of my roommates, Robin. After two hours of seeing incredible art and a lot of people, we were tired and hungry and all we wanted to do was grab some food and go back to the hostel.
Walking on Fifth Avenue in the evening is so cool. There are Christmas lights everywhere and it looks so different from the Upper West Side. Seeing the buildings and streets you saw in movies, and now right in front of you, it’s surreal.
Don’t eat close to Fifth Avenue, because a sandwich is ridiculously expensive. It was a good sandwich and I knew beforehand that New York was gonna be pricey, but still. We got back at the hostel around 9pm, and I was so tired that I immediately went to bed. Yeah, my first day in New York was a good one.